Thursday, January 28, 2010

No Win Scenario....


There is a great quote from the new Star Trek movie, where a young Cadet Kirk, having been caught cheating on the infamous Kobayashi Maru test, says to Spock, "I don't believe in no-win scenarios." The Kobayashi Maru test has no real way to win, it is suppose to confront every Starfleet Academy cadet with "..fear in the face in certain death." Every cadet is suppose to fail the test. When I think of Skipper's condition, I sometimes think of the Kobayashi Maru. Skipper is essentially facing a no-win scenario. Lymphoma can not be cured, only placed into remission every once and a while. But the problem is I don't believe in no-win scenarios either. I can't cheat cancer like Kirk cheated the test, but I can redefine what it means to win against cancer. If I can help maintain Skipper's quality of life as high as possible, then the cancer can not win. I don't like to lose, and I'll be damned if I'm going to let cancer ruin my dog's quality of life.

We are on our third week of chemotherapy. Skipper's treatment this week consisted of Vincristine, the chemo which he appears to tolerate very well. The doctor has lowered his Prednisone levels to 1 tablet a day from 1 and a half, but Skipper still has a ravenous appetite. Overall, he is doing well. His blood levels are holding steady, and they are no longer in decline. You could barely tell he has any kind of cancer, and that is fine by me. On a more personal note, my grandmother passed away today. It has been a rough start so far in 2010, having to face Skipper's situation, and my grandmother's passing. But I have to try to keep positive, both for my family, and of course, my dogs...

No comments:

Post a Comment